Friday, May 02, 2008

Strawberry Season

I thought you all might like a new recipe for spring.

Strawberry Bread

2 cups sugar
2 cups crushed strawberries
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup cooking oil

Crush strawberries or liquefy in blender. Crack eggs into a mixing bowl and beat until blended. Add Sugar, strawberries, and oil. Beat until blended.

Gradually add:
3 cups flour
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt

Beat until smooth. Pour into loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Use cake tester or toothpick to test doneness.

Cooking Notes
  1. The original recipe called for two 9x5 loaf pans. I've found that the bread turns out better by using more, smaller pans. For my last batch, I used foil pans I got at the supermarket. They were 3 to a package, and they worked great. The smaller, "gift size" pans work well, too.
  2. Check the bread before removing it from the oven. The top may look done, but it won't be cooked through. If other things you bake "take a little longer", this will, too.
  3. This is a great recipe and worth experimenting with even if your first batch doesn't turn out so good. The bread also freezes well, just in case you can't finish all three loaves over a weekend!
  4. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

That's a NEW one, I've never heard of strawberry bread before!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

I made a post on my blog called "By Special Request"

YOU are the special who did the requesting!!!!

Jaena said...

Char, I just opened your sweet card and it made my tear up (which, to be honest, many things do these days.) Thanks so much for your encouraging words. Our children really are a blessing, as is the gift of motherhood.

Jaena said...

Oh, and that would be "tear" as in crying a bit rather than "tear" as in I tried to rip up the card. :D

Char said...

Hi Jaena,
I've had a "tear" effect on some people, but I'm glad that wasn't the case with you.

groovyoldlady said...

Greetings, O Secretive One!

Thanks for allowing me into your inner snactum...I mean sanctum. I am glad, however, that there are snacks IN your sanctum!

The bread sounds LOVELY. Sadly, we Groovies have a terrible problem with strawberries - we eat them all fresh before I ever get a chance to cook them into anything.

But maybe I'll be sneaky and try.

Char said...

Hi Groovy!

Glad you could come by. If you get a chance to sneak a few strawberries away from the family supply, the bread is worth a try.

Hope to see you here again!

Keetha Broyles said...

OK - - - fess up - - - how did Groovy get "into" your private blog????? Did you find her through mine or some other way???

Fun Fun!!

Char said...

Groovy is just plain good!

Actually, I traced her through your blog, found her e-mail address, and sent her a note. She seemed like the kind of person I might enjoy blogging with.

Keri said...

Mmmm this bread looks good! I might have to try it!