1 cup rice
1 14 oz can chicken broth plus enough water to make two cups of liquid
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped onion (depending on the size of the onion)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
Combine the above and bring to a boil. Simmer until liquid is absorbed.
Cube 1 to 2 half chicken breasts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute in olive oil until no longer pink.
In a large mixing bowl, combine:
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
8 oz sliced Water Chestnuts, drained
4 oz sliced mushrooms, drained
The chicken
The rice and vegetable mixture
Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Pat 1/2 of the mixture into the pan. Sprinkle with a handful of stuffing mix such as Stove Top and a handful of shredded cheese. Add a second layer.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, until browned on top.
This turned out to use only about 1 cup of stuffing mix and 1 cup of shredded cheese. I used Colby-Jack like Keetha did.
I don't know why the original recipe insisted on real mayonnaise, but someone wanting to reduce calories could substitute 1/2 cup of low fat milk. The casserole would be a little more moist.
Also, the layer of cheese and stuffing in the middle didn't add much. It got messed up when we served it. Probably helped the flavor, though.
6 comments:
It looks yummy.
I'll tell you about the mayo part - - - it gives a flavor that will be missing if you leave it out.
I've made it without - - - it just isn't as tasty.
I can't believe how small your serving is.
I had seconds.
Leaving the mayo out would make it even less moist, I would think!
You skimped! HEHE! This is not a diet recipe and making it one takes out what makes it so yummy.
Yes, well, only on the cheese.
OK so now let's confess what a PIG I am - - - - when I made my casserole the other day, I DID NOT skimp on ingredients (I didn't have the crumbs on hand, so had to leave that part out - - - but other than that I LOADED on the fattening stuff) and then I, BY MYSELF, ate the entire casserole in two days time. ME BY MYSELF.
I can just tell you my servings were at least 4x larger than yours - - - and I had seconds - - - and THIRDS.
:-)
I'm feeling sick with a cold today and would LOVE to have this again, but don't have the energy to make it - - - -
If my hubby were working a long shift and I were home alone, I might eat the whole thing in 48 hours, too. It was that good!
Post a Comment